BASIC JEWELLERY CARE
Guideline for wearing jewellery
Jewellery is worn every day by millions of people, but few of them know how to preserve their jewellery with a little and simple planning. Care for jewellery begins with the proper wear. That means knowing when to put on your jewellery - and when to take it off. Here are some basic things that should be considered when wearing jewellery:
- We recommend you to remove your jewellery when you shower and sleep, to avoid unnecessary wear and tear. Metals of jewellery can react with chlorinated water and this may lead to discoloration or even structural changes. So, it’s better to avoid wearing jewellery in swimming pools and spas.
- While doing household work you should remove your jewellery to avoid physical damage and exposure to chemicals and cleaning fluids. In addition, pearls should be handled as little as possible as skin oil can accumulate over time and can make their appearance dull. There are some tasks that should be avoided while wearing jewellery are gardening, kitchen work, cleaning the house etc.
Guideline for cleaning jewellery
It's easy to keep your jewellery looking as shiny as the day you got it. To keep the jewellery piece neat and shiny, it requires regular efforts for those who wear the jewellery regularly. Here are some general guidelines that can help you:
- Cleaning your gold and gemstone jewellery couldn't be easier with white vinegar. Simply drop the jewellery into a jar of vinegar and let it be there for 10 to15 minutes, agitating occasionally. Remove and scrub with a soft-bristled toothbrush, if necessary.
- Using warm water is the best choice for cleaning your diamond jewellery. Water can react with cleaning fluid which leads to discoloration and silver is particularly susceptible to this problem.
- For best results, use a jewellery polishing cloth to polish your piece of jewellery. Using of a tissues or paper towel may cause scratches due to fibers present in these products.
- It’s a good idea to ask your jeweler to check your jewellery once a year - especially all that you wear on a daily basis. Ask them to clean and polish them and check the prongs for any loose stones. This will make your accessories look brand new.
- Prevention is the best way to prevent the need for repairs, so regular inspection is the best way to minimize any costly repairs. You can do a simple test every two or three months, to ensure that the state of your jewellery is in excellent condition and also preventing a small problem becoming a big problem.
Guideline for Jewellery storing
Jewellery is vulnerable while it's being worn but it also get damage if it is not stored properly. Anyone who owns a jewellery collection can understand how it can be difficult to keep them organized. To keep your jewellery safe for a longer period of time, we have these suggestions for organizing your jewellery and compiled correctly:
- Keep jewellery in a container and compiled so that pieces can’t move around. It is recommended that you use fabric line jewellery boxes to store your jewellery pieces. Wrap individual pieces in tissue or cloth or put them in separate compartments in a box. Be very careful with pearl jewellery, it is soft and scratches more easily than other stones and metals.
- In order to maintain the luster of your jewellery as it is, kindly use silver anti tarnish strips in your storage container so it can absorbs the oxidants that results in discoloring and tarnishing of jewellery.
Guideline for transporting jewels
Delivery of jewellery can be a serious concern because of its high natural value. Although there are various carrier specific recommendations, here are some precautions to be taken to make the experience less stressful.
- Securely package your jewellery with proper sized box
- Use two boxes: inner holding box of the jewellery, and an outer packaging.
- Wrap the package carefully to prevent movement of jewellery
- Pack the carton with packaging materials to protect the inner box during transport
- Eliminate all the information on the box that relates to jeweler or jewellery
- Boxes must be completely sealed with tape
- Never use a drop box